Monday, November 21, 2011

Trying to balance

I am doing the best I can.  I am trying to balance work, being a mom and being a woman.

I spent the first 20 yrs of my life mostly unhappy & turned to drugs & alcohol.  I spent the next 20 yrs married & raising kids, a lot of that happy but the last 7 yrs not happily married.  Sort of dying inside. Living life for my children, who I love more than life itself.  But they are growing up.  They have lives.  Early this year I spent so much time in bed being depressed and alone, while they were out having fun.

Then my step dad died.  That was like a huge jolt.  LIFE IS SHORT.  We need to LIVE LIFE NOW WHILE WE CAN!!  NOW I have a new chapter to start writing.  Discovering who Demery is.  I felt like I couldn't change or grow for years.  That I was stuck being who I was for so long.  Now I feel like I have the chance to break out of that comfort zone.  To meet new people, to have fun, to break out of being the shy person that I have hated for so long.  I am not just a mom, I am a woman too.  Doing dancing on Thursdays literally has made me feel like I am alive again.  I wake up Thursdays with a smile on my face and the greatest mood in the world.  If there is a band I like on Saturdays, I go then too. It is keeping me sane.

My children are upset.  They think I am abandoning them.  I am selfish and irresponsible.  That I am making them ill with stress.  They don't like me leaving at 8:30 at night but to me, it is after we have had dinner together.  We often watch a show together.  I will help with homework if needed.  WE SPEND TIME TOGETHER.  Usually at the time I leave, everyone is in their own rooms.  What does it matter if I am sitting in my own room being lonely, or if I leave to go have fun and reenergize myself?  What if I am hanging by a thread and leaving for awhile is the only thing holding me together?  I have tried sssssssoooooooo hard to explain this to them.  Do you know how much better my body has felt since I started dancing??

Last night it was like world war III in our house between my eldest and me while the younger sat there crying her heart out and rocking back and forth, refusing to talk. She needs to talk and she won't.  When she finally said something, she said she was conflicted because she sees both sides, but she wouldn't expand. 

They both were gone all day yesterday, doing something they enjoyed.  I sat at home all day, by myself.  Alone.  At around 3, I got invited to go somewhere at 8:30. I was very happy and looking very much forward to it.  The arguing started at 8.  I had to cancel my plans.  We were done about 9:00 and I got to go back to my room.  Alone.  Why can they do what they want, and have fun but mom is not allowed to?  I went back to my eldest and asked her that and she wanted to know why I was trying to make her feel guilty.  I said that I wasn't, I just wanted to know what her thinking was.  She didn't really have an answer.

I have a friend they are very close that offered to talk to them and explain what she went through when she got divorced.  She needed to go out a little and discover herself.  They lover her to death.  The eldest is refusing to have anything to do with talking to her about this. 

I just don't know what to do.  If I keep going out, it hurts them.  If I stay home, I will be resentful, and dead inside.  I feel dead today. Well, dead but about ready to explode with tears.

10 comments:

  1. Okay. Don't you dare stop going out.. They adjust.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the love of Saint Peter, you go girl and don't look back. You have nothing to feel guilty about. NOTHING. You have been (and still are) one terrific mother. Your girls will adjust. Your girls always have a dad available if they need a parent fix. Lordy, these are not little girls we are talking about. It has been a pleasure watching you this past year. You have become such a strong woman. You even glow at times. Don't you dare quit on yourself. As you said, it is time for you to have some fun.
    Love you ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHIT!! I have to leave right now for my mammogram and I have SO MUCH TO SAY!!!! I will comment when I get back and should be working. Wait for me! I have Things To Say!!!!!

    Love Mo

    ReplyDelete
  4. But what do you do when they are sitting there crying and telling you that you are making them cry themselves to sleep at night? That they feel I am choosing going out over them and I'm abandoning them. That I am selfish. That makes it really hard to walk out the door. But I feel like if I don't go, part of me dies inside. I feel like I am still doing everything to be a good mom and they say that I have changed and am not their mom anymore. Tears me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your eldest is 19!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even live at home at that age. And your youngest is in HS!!!
    Both have their own social lives. I just don't think at their ages that they should be "crying themselves to sleep" because you are not home. They are playing you Demery and I don't like this game. (But I do love your girls) Do not let them win. You have a perfect balance going on now. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Deb and Mo said....Really they are just trying to pull at your heart strings.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I'm staying late at work so I can comment. Demery. First, let me say this: while my life was in the fresh turmoil of divorce and all that, my kids were the most selfish, self-centered creatures on this planet. But none of them ever cried themselves to sleep because I chose to go out with my friends. They KNOW that this is important for me, always has been. It's not competition between my friends and them--it's me trying not to eat my own children. YOU DESERVE LIFE!!! YOU DESERVE FUN AND GETTING OUT!! Who WOULDN'T think this? They can't play you, and you can't let them play you. You are not her best friend, you are her mother. You spend plenty of time with each of those girls. They have no right to try and guilt you into staying at home. Would they rather have you laying in bed, depressed and despondent? Don't answer that. They probably would. But I would not! I want you to laugh and dance your ass off and love and realize you are YOUNG and VIBRANT and ALIVE. They are old enough, Demery, and you know it. They do too. Don't let them win, please don't let them win. And if you feel one second of guilt...they've won.

    I spend so much time at home, and the kids are getting used to having my undivided attention again, but they also don't make a single stink when I go out with friends. It's me that makes the stink. We all know this about me.

    Live your life. They need to learn to let you find Demery. If you don't find Demery, I don't think they'll respect you in one year, five years, however many years. Do you think they'll hold back on their lives? No! Don't you dare do it to yourself. If it takes me coming over there and taking you out dancing, then by God I will do it and if either of them looks at us crosseyed I may have to have words. (Oh please don't make me go dancing. Please oh please oh please....) (That being said, I WILL GO IF IT HELPS!!!!) (whimper)

    I love you, so so so much. I just want you to be happy, Demery. I want your girls to be happy, I want Jake to be happy. If you each can't live your own lives to how you want to live....no one will be happy.

    {{{{{HUGS!!!!}}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all the posts above. I don't see them staying home to keep you company, they come and go with their friends and you should do the same. Married or not, you have put a lot of years into your kids, this is your time. They are trying to guilt you when if you were still with Jake and going out with him they would be just fine on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Demery, children learn by example. Even when they roll their eyes and pull their teenage attitudes, they are watching you and internalizing the example you set.

    I understand how torn you feel, I can see how much their words and emotions are affecting you. Please keep in mind that they are nearing adulthood and that it is not healthy for them - or you - for them to act so dependent on you.

    Ultimately, I think you should decide what kind of example you want to set for them, then live it. I hope you choose to show them that having children doesn't mean that your only identity is "mother". That the best way you can love others is by loving yourself. That you have the power to make your life what you need it to be so that you can be happy living it. That you are actively deciding to be the best version of yourself.

    You've accomplished so much, you've come so far. You are proud of yourself.

    I think the girls are threatened because this is a big change for them. You are doing everything right by them. You make sure you are there for dinner and you help with homework. You are a wonderful mom.

    When they are a bit older and have more life experience, they will regret how they acted during this time. Looking back, I can see what a shit I was to my parents when they divorced. One day, they will too. They'll also know how to be good mothers to their own children, while maintaining their own identity, and hopefully, living their lives to the fullest.

    Love you and your girls! -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like I said on fb your daughters are turning into beautiful young women on the inside & out. Just like their Mom! And having a Mom who is finding her own happiness & feeling good about life is the best possible example you can show/give them! Keep on dancing!
    Martha

    ReplyDelete