Monday, September 26, 2011

Saturday was a wonderful wonderful day!   It started by going for a walk around a beautiful lake in Seattle with a dear friend.  I've lived in the area all my life and I've never been there.  AND I hear about people walking, biking, rollerblading around it all the time... but I've never stopped to wonder how far it around it is. I told Jake was going and he said "That's about 2 1/5 miles around the lake you know."  I think my heart skipped a couple beats.  I said, "Oh, it CAN'T be THAT far." right says the little voice in my head?  "Barb says she usually goes around twice." he said "I'm sure she'll cut you a break."  I was still thinking "It CANT be that far, I CANT DO THAT FAR."

I get in the car Saturday morning and turn to Barb and told her that Jake said it was about 2 1/5 miles and do you know what she says to me???? "Actually it's closer to 3."  ohmygodimgoingtodie.  But I did it.  I was limping probably about the last quarter mile as my left side was not happy with me.  But the happy
endorphins were out cheering me on.  Barb told me that I better start walking because next time we ARE going around twice. *whimper* who says there's going to be a next time? JOKING, I will do it. 

Next I went to talk to Jake about financial stuff.  I've been procrastinating doing it, just because I know it will depress him more. Not having a job is hard on the ego and having financial problems just adds to it all.  But having opened a new checking account and having my check deposited there, I have now cut him off from all money.  Something that I have procrastined on all year.  It was hard to do it.  Another step towards moving on.

Then the girls and I went to the opening season game of TBirds Hockey against their arch rival Portland.  It was SO much fun!  We ended up sitting way up high, which doesn't matter viewing wise - there is not a bad seat in the house, it just KILLED the already sore body to walk up and down all the steps and then we were on the end and the people in the middle WOULD NOT STAY SEATED.  There were about 8 people that kept getting up and down all through the game. Not only was it annoying as hell, it was very hard on all of legs to have to keep getting up and down.

We were also honored to be in the presense of  a Medal of Honor recipient - the highest award you can receive.  As the announcer read his story, I just had total body chills and then when he walked out onto the ice in full uniform, it was more so. He threw out the first puck (I don't see how that sounds dirty Mo.)
Here is a story that I found on the ABC
July 13, 2011
Medal of Honor recipient Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Petry was honored at the Pentagon today for the heroism that cost him his right hand but saved the lives of two of his fellow soldiers.


Petry is only the second living recipient of the nation's highest award for valor in the wars in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Petry lost his right hand on May 26, 2008 during what his platoon commander described as one of the most complex Special Operations raids ever conducted in Afghanistan at the time. A platoon of Rangers was targeting a high-value target hiding in a compound in eastern Afghanistan.


Special Operations forces typically conduct their missions at night, but this mission was more dangerous because it was conducted during daylight. Almost immediately after getting out of their helicopters, the Rangers came under strong enemy fire.

Petry was shot in both of his legs shortly after entering the compound. When a grenade thrown by an Afghan insurgent landed 15 feet from where he and two other Rangers had taken cover, Petry did not hesitate. He lunged to throw it away from them because the blast radius would have likely killed them.

He told reporters today his immediate reaction was "get it out of here, get it away from the guys and myself. And I reached over, leaned over to the right, grabbed it with my hand, and I threw it as hard as I could, what I thought was at the time. And as soon as I opened my hand to let it go, it just exploded instantly. And I came back, and the hand was completely severed off."

Petry said receiving the medal has not changed who he is. "It's a decoration, it's not a depiction of who I am, so I am still me," he said. "The medal is just a decoration that they thought I deserved."  But he described the medal as "a great opportunity to influence positive impact on younger soldiers, children -- walks of all life in our nation."

As a Medal of Honor recipient, he said his message would be to "never forget your fallen heroes who paid the ultimate sacrifice, but embrace the living, those continuing to serve in the uniformed services and those overseas continuing in the fight."

Though he struggled with a decision about whether to remain in the Army after his injury, he is glad he chose to remain and become a liaison to wounded warriors.  WHAT A GUY! He sat in a Suite right behind us.  He's cute too!

ALSO, Stephano Langone from Americal Idol sang the National Anthem.  Too bad we lost 3-6.  But it was a very great day.  I'm having trouble moving today (2nd day is always most painful and the rain does not help) But I would not change anything I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment