Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cabin in the Woods

I was invited for a weekend away by a very good friend who is more like an adopted sister. My mother-in-law has nanny'd her 7 y/o since she was 5 wks old and pretty much taken the whole family under her wings and adopted them. My girls call her Aunt Tif and think of her 2 daughters as their cousins.

So it was Tif and her 2 girls (7 & 11)and a friend of Tif's - Kellie and her 2 boys (13 & 15) and me. All 7 of us packed into Tif's Honda Pilot and I mean PACKED. We set off for the 2 hour drive into the Mountains at 1:30 on Friday. It was a looooong drive. I quickly learned that the 13 y/o was a smart ass (I didn't mind that so much, he was sort of like my daughters. He was giving Tif crap about her spray on tan and all the adults about their age (dinosaurs). But the 15 y/o was more like a whiney 5 y/o. He sat right behind me. He was shuffling these cards over and over JUST TO BE ANNOYING. He said that Chels (the 7 y/o) was being annoying (she wasn't), why couldn't he? She kept saying to stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Finally she punched him in the leg. Evidentally his house key was right there so then he started to cry. OMG.

We arrived and got to meet Bryce. He went to school w/Tif & Kellie and was the owner of the cabins. The one we stayed in sleeps up to 8 and he owns another that sleeps about 22. It was beautiful. I want to the RahRah's to go!!! He only charged Tif $100 a night but it's usually $175 but if you split that by 6 or 8 then it's not bad at all.

Bryce has an Anatolian Shepard named Ella - she is HUGE. Chels fell in love immediately and asked if she could trade her for her sister! (no deal was made) He said she guards the perimeter of his property for predators like mountain lions and bears. There just happen to be a bear in the area. You also burn a bonfire at night to help keep animals away. Not scary at all! Chels also seemed to have quite the crush on Bryce and followed him everywhere. It was very cute.

Saturday while Whiney boy was in the hottub, he stood up and Ash (11 y/o) hit him with a soft slushy snowball and he cried like a wounded animal. He got out of the hot tub and came in the house and had to lay down because he hurt so bad. He acted like a two y/o it was AWFUL. 15 YEARS OLD!

Saturday we went in to Leavenworth - not the prison, but a Bavarian town in the mountains. I love to go there. It is full of shops and it is much nicer to go without children. We had lunch (a delicious Reuben!) and went to the grocery store to get dinner fixins and went back to the cabin.

All in all it was a very nice weekend and I can't wait to go back. Perhaps in January? I heard back from Deb & Barb that they were in but nothing from Mo or Martha or Bobbie.... Now that I mentioned bears I probably won't get Mo to budge but then she's been tent camping with bears....

5 comments: