Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Trying not to worry

Kallyn is at day 9 of having her tonsils removed and she is still in quite a bit of pain.  She is not eating much except jello and miso soup.  Just in the last 2-3 days does she have a voice and it is still not all the way there and at the moment she has sort of British accent.  She sounds like a British deaf person.  She says her throat feels raw (if she would quit coughing, that might help).  Her tongue has stayed swollen so it is hard to move and it is painful to try to eat anything that would require using your tongue to get food out of your teeth.  She says pudding is too thick and gets caught in her throat.  I have been MAKING her eat yogurt and/or drinking Danimals so that she doesn't get a yeast infection. She eats like a small bowl or two of ice cream a day but she says it tastes funny.  She is quite the difficult patient.  The pain medicine makes her itch so she's been taking Benadryl, which is nice because it knocks her out ; ) 

I called the on-call Dr on Sunday, and he is the one that said to get Benadryl and that she could take extral Tyelenol (she had a temp of 100.2) so I got Benadryl Sinus that was a combo as it is difficult to swollow pills.  He said that on day 6 what she was going through was normal and she should turn the corner any day.  I am torn between thinking "This IS Kallyn, of course she is having more difficulties and it's just going to take her longer." and being TERRIFIED that her RSD is going to move to her throat and she will end up with this pain forever.  She keeps asking in panicked voice "My voice isn't going to stay like this is it?" and I say "Of course not Kallyn. Why would you even think that?" in my don't be dumb voice - and then the voice in my head whispers "oh god, PLEASE don't let her voice stay like that!! Don't let her get RSD in her throat."  I know that chances are very great that she is just taking longer to heal, but I'm the mom and I can't help but worry.  That is why I get paid the big mom bucks.  She sees the Dr next Wednesday. I'm sure by then she will be much much better.

In better news, KARLI GOT HER BRACES OFF!!!!  She has been quite the trooper for 5 years.  She got her braces on in 3rd grade and now she is in 9th.  Big Beautiful $6,000 smile ")

1 comment:

  1. sorry to tell you this but it took Tessa 3 weeks to recover when she had hers out, swollen tounge and all.... Hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete