Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It is an aneurysm!

Be careful all those times you joke about having an aneurysm Mo, you might actually be walking around with one!

Yes. I. have. an. aneurysm. But guess what, it is small enough that they don't care and don't want to do anything about it. Just let me walk around with it. Sitting right behind my right eye.

So.... I went to Bellevue, which I hate. There are 2 hospitals on the Eastside (not Seattle - TONS in Seattle) one in Belleuve, the other in Kirkland. Lots of Doctors offices around each and in each. All of mine are in Kirkland. I've had my kids in Kirkland, my surgeries in Kirkland. It is just my comfort zone and Bellevue is just a traffice nightmare.

So I walk in and the receptionist hands me this flyer to read on carotid artery problems and surgeries and says the doctor will talk to me about this when I see her. So I read it and almost break out bawling in the waiting room. Remember, I am building up for this huge breakdown? It has almost come out a couple times in the last few days and it was starting to build up just going up the elevator - then she hands me this very scary flyer. When the Dr walks in she takes a look at me and asks if I am ok. I told her not really, that I had a migraine and that the pamphlet was very scary and that I really didn't know why I was there. She took the pamphlet from me and said it was for old people and not for me. She said she was going to explain why I was there.

I told her about being told about an abnormality and then seeing the referral card that said aneurysm. She said "Well, you do have an aneurysm." But she went on to explain that it was tiny. That it was 3 cm and they don't typically burst until 7-10 cm. I have less than 1/2% of it bursting. But it is good to know that it is there so that I can be followed and watched. BUT she is not the one to do that. Because of the location, I need to see a Neurosurgeon. She said he will probably just want to monitor it every year or two. okey dokey. OH and it is not doing anything that could cause my headaches. @#%#$@$

So I left there and the more I thought about it the more upset I got. I went to a neurologist, who had me have an MRI. The neurologist's office said I had an aneurysm and needed to see a vascular Dr. The vascular Dr read the report, scheduled an appt with me, only to tell me that I needed to see a neurosurgeon - which there are 3 of in the neurologist's office.

So - shouldn't the neurologist's office been able to tell that I just needed to see a neurosurgeon? OR if not, shouldn't the vascular Dr, after reading the MRI report just called the frickin neurologist's office back and said that she wasn't the person I needed to see? Why waste my time and MONEY to go all the way to see her? It has to be about the money. She had no way to bill for her precious time reading the MRI report, so she had to have me come in. So now I will get two bills. One for her reading the report and one for an office consultation. I got to pay a $30 copay, miss time from work and get to pay 20% for 2 bills to find out that I have to go see a different Dr. Lovely.

And I am walking around with an aneurysm.

5 comments:

  1. Well we better be careful not to startle you or jostle you around so that it doesn't burst. Can I just wrap your head in bubble wrap? Thanks.

    My dad had an aneurysm in his head for about his last ten years and that isn't even what killed him. He too was told, "No biggie. You're fine." And after a while he forgot about it. We all probably have them...little ones anyway. Very common.

    Why the migraines? Ummmm....stress my dear. Pure, unadulterated stress. And I still am of a mind that there's something in your house making you guys get headaches and sinus infections so often. Sick house syndrome, usually something fungal. I would think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! And I know you're thinking, "But he had a STROKE, Mo!!!" Come to find out, in all his MRIs and CT scans....the aneurysm was still there, just sitting at the same size. The stroke didn't happen anywhere near the thing. Go figure. Poor guy died with it just sitting in his brain, minding its business.

    I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mo is smart. Stress can do lots of damage and the sick house thing is really something to think about.
    Sorry about all this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Demery, honey, you're going to be fine. I have faith that you will and that you'll see your life changing and becoming a better and less stressed place to be. I really do. thinking of you and sending my love, R

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY.. I had no idea I am glad I got here and read this.. sending you my support and prayers.. I do agree though that if there was any danger they never would have let you leave the place they did the test.. NO WAY do THEY want to get a lawsuit these days.. You probably will have to have lots of re checks though to make sure it isn't getting larger. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete