Monday, October 18, 2010

Junior High Reunion

I am excited about an upcoming reunion. When I was in Junior High there were 6 of us that were pretty close. The Clearview Crue. 5 of them lived around where I live now and I lived an hour north. When my parents divorced, they were the ones that helped keep me sane. I didn't have many friends where I lived. It was a small town and what ever status you had through elementary school stuck with you. I was not popular.

When my parents divorced, my mom became a cocktail waitress/bartender. It was the way a single, uneducated women could make enough money to survive. That meant she left for work before my sister (mentally challenged and 5 years younger than me) and I got home from school. At 13 I became my sister's mother. At 34, my mother had her mid-life crisis. When my sister went with her dad every other weekend, I got to get on a greyhound bus and escape down south. I should mention that one of the Clearview Crue was my aunt. She is 18 months younger than me. My grandma had money and my aunt and I were close so I got to go on some vacations with them as the playmate for my aunt. So I was escaping to my grandmas house and my aunts house. It is what kept me sane but it is also where I started smoking pot and drinking. (another escape).

Anyways, there were 3 girls and 3 boys. We roamed the streets and neighborhoods. We hung out at the local store. We snuck out at night and hung out in the half built houses. We would blast the boombox and sit in the middle of the road and make cars go around us. We thought we were so cool. It was a time that was less dangerous. We could tell my grandma we were leaving and she would simply say "be home by dark." My aunt had a basement wreck room that was the hang out place. My grandma didn't mind everyone coming over and eating all the food.

Anyways, through FB we have all connected and kept saying we should have a reunion. We have finally picked a date and time. One of us has recently divorced and is in the process of moving into an apartment. He says that will be the perfect way to break it in. There is one of us who joined FB but then disappeared again. We are having trouble contacting him but his parents still live in the same house so one of us was going to ask them.

It just seems like it would be a very fun night to live in the past again when our biggest problems seem so little now. We thought we ruled the world. hahahahahaha " ) Nov 6 makes me smile everytime I think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment